Saturday, July 6, 2024

It started with the Traeger...

I LOVE BBQ but I've never been much of a griller because I didn't know how to build a fire and didn't have the patience to wait for the coals to ash over. Now, I am "grilling" multiple times per week, all year long.

I was in a FB group when my son was in basic training...everyone kept saying they were "firing up the Traeger this weekend"...so I Googled and became obsessed. I purchased one from Costco in the Spring of 2022 and have been smoking up a storm ever since. Purist will claim that I'm neither smoking nor grilling because it's too easy...but my guests say otherwise. 

Smoked lamb shoulder (khaleeji style) has become my go-to...I keep several in the freezer and always make one when we have company. I also do beef flanken ribs, pollo a la brasa, oysters (in December), and everything in between. Last weekend I made summer sausage from ground wagyu.

Folks in my dog training circles are always talking about flattops...so last year I bought a Member's Mark from Sam's (I wasn't ready to commit to a Blackstone). And I cook on it year round - boneless thighs, ribeyes, lamb loin chops, burgers, shrimp, you name it...everything except breakfast.

After two summers of plug-and-play grilling, I wanted to make döner kababs and picanha...that meant I needed to cook over hardwood coals. I couldn't bring myself to buy another gill, so I bought a $60 kettle grill from Lowe's and I've nailed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment