Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Insatiable

I honestly don't know what compels me to continue this blog...it's not that I have nothing else to do, or think that what I'm saying is so profound, but it's an urge - I seek out new tastes in the kitchen and brainstorm on this blog.  I'm driven to improvise.  Tonight I planned to make my salmon stew but I couldn't resist deviating from the tried and true.  I toned down the robustness, added oatmeal and mixed vegetables - very hearty.

In addition to the desire to experience new tastes and textures, this culinary journey is also an attempt to have full disclosure on the origin of the food that I consume and feed to my family.  That brings me back (for the 1000th time) to eggs.  I was flipping through USA Today at the dealer yesterday and there was an article about eggs and salmonella.  The article detailed a large-scale egg  producing operation in Illinois (1.1 million caged hens) and all I could think about is my friend's three chickens wandering in his backyard.  Egg production is automated...from feeding, to removing waste, to bathing the eggs.  They certainly don't have to worry about those hens coming home to roost because 8 chickens are sitting in a 27.7" x 22.6" cage 24/7. 

It is our demand for cheap food that fuels factory farming and the food borne illnesses associated with food production on that scale.  Cheap, however, is relative.  There are many who can't afford any food and as Ramadan comes to an end that is something on which I'd like to reflect.  While I'm cooking and eating for pleasure, there are so many who are not able to eat for nourishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment