Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More than a notion

This vegetarian plan is more complicated than I thought, especially when trying to plan the right balance of carbs and protein.

Monday I made black eye peas that were rather flavorful, onions, garlic, celery, peppers, low sodium broth, and seasoning; red quinoa with garlic and onions (this could've been kicked up a bit - my daughter reminded me last night that I used to curry and stir-fry quinoa); and nappa cabbage.

Last night I wanted flavor, however, since I'm out of berbere and it was late, timtimo was not an option so I went with puttanesca. The sauce is made with anchovies so one might argue that its not exactly vegetarian but its close enough.

My son is starting to resist. He's claiming he needs more protein; this is clearly an issue of mind over matter because he is a carb boy, he rarely eats meat but I think he just needs to see it to feel like he's had a balanced meal.
  

I'm still forging ahead, we have dinner plans tonight so I'm not sure if that'll be a setback but I do have kidney beans and lentils on hand.  Three days down, 27 to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment