Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Quick meals

Over the past few weeks I've only made a few quick meals.  The chicken and dumplings were a bit too modern for my taste...one of these days I'll learn how to make it the way the old timers do. The chicken, pepper, and tomato dish was fantastic - reminiscent of cacciatore but far more flavorful.  The following week, I hit the jackpot with frozen whiting fillets with onions, peppers, and a pseudo-jerk marinade. Each of those dishes were conceived at dinner time, didn't take a lot of effort, and were quite yummy.  I finished up that week with a simmer - chicken zigni. 

I have no idea what we've been eating for the past week.  Boy was I happy when my mom invited us over for Easter Dinner.  I had been making chicken cheesesteaks for dinner (onions, peppers, cooper sharp, and no rolls) and doing salads for lunch (romaine, tomatoes, beets, jalapeno cheese, turkey breast).  I made turkey burgers one evening (no rolls - I think I'm tired of the complicated process of buying bread, and the fact that the rolls stay soft in the bread box well past their sell by date gives me the creeps).  Sweet potatoes have become a staple side - just toss in the oven while you figure out the main dish.

This week I announced that I would make spaghetti and meat sauce.  Why did I need a proclamation?  Because although I make all kinds of pasta dishes - it's rare that I make spaghetti and meat sauce.  Growing up, I preferred marinara. 

This time I cut a corner by starting with a jar of Wegman's old fashioned pomodoro sauce.  I sauteed a sweet onion, a head of garlic, and some orange peppers, added ground turkey thigh, then let that simmer in the sauce.  Utterly delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment