Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Simple pleasures

It's amazing how fresh food tantalizes the senses; particularly for city slickers.  We had a soccer game in North Wales today and it seems that every family stopped by the farm stand and picked up produce - I was grinning from ear to ear - excited about the bargains I snagged...a bag of broccoli for $1.50 - maybe 8 heads (it was day old but looked like the stuff you see in the average supermarket).  I bought 15 tomatoes for $2.50 - they had spots on them, but work just fine for cooking - I immediately thought of a tomato pie, now I'm thinking zigni.  The other bargain was a bag of at least 10 green peppers for $2.50 - again day old. 

This experience was telling in a couple of ways- urbanites as deprived of farm fresh produce - and the factory food system has created a demand for perfect produce specimens, hence tomatoes with spots, or peppers with a little wrinkle are relegated to the clearance table. 

In addition to the clearance items, I bought yams, cabbage, and apples.  We drove down the road and stopped in the Whole Foods - half the team was there as well - I bought cheese, pasta, chicken, and some miscellaneous lunch box items.  I was so excited about my finds that I immediately started cooking once we arrived home.  First I pressure cooked the yams in pineapple juice; then I got started on the tomato pie - Gullah style of course.  I was so smitten with my booty from the farm stand that I had not planned the preparation.  As I marinated the chicken leg quarters, I thought of my husband's earlier response to my what's for dinner question.  He reminded me about the simple delicious meals I used to prepare - he claims it was the convection roasted chicken that made him want to marry me - I foolishly thought it was my good looks.

I boiled the cavatappi and started on the cheese sauce - this time I added Gruyere to my blend and it was absolutely fabulous.   After I put the chicken in the oven, I got started on the cabbage.  That's when I realized I was out of control so I stopped myself before I made the stuffing. 

Tonight's dinner was truly food for the soul.

1 comment:

  1. uh I think you are wrong, it was your look in the bathing suit. lol Roz

    ReplyDelete