Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Breaking the fast

Once again I am enmeshed in Girl Scout cookies...I think we've been surviving off of fruit and sandwiches.  Yesterday I decided to end this foolishness and made a pot of rice and peas.  I attempted to pass it off as dinner, but no one took the bait...they wanted at least a vegetable accompaniment...sorry.

The other day I stopped in Shop Rite for a can of coconut milk and picked up a can of callaloo...the closest North American equivalent to this Caribbean plant might be savoy spinach.  Now that I had callaloo, I needed bacalao (salted cod fish).  Surprise, surprise - salt fish is much cheaper in the hood - Genaurdi's has the nerve to sell it for $12.99/lb as if it's the catch of the day. 

This morning I was in the mood for a hearty breakfast so I made salt fish and callaloo (I added a little fresh baby spinach to stretch it (frozen chopped (broadleaf) would've been a better choice).  It was easy, sauteed onions, scallions, thyme, with a little tomato paste; added the fish, then the veggies, and voila.  I had some Irish (boiled potatoes) on the side, along with some cornbread (in lieu of dumplings).  Very satisfying...there's nothing like a snow day to getcha going again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment