Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Unbelievable udon

Our introduction to udon noodles was via the $1.99 Annie Chun's bowls we get from TJs - quick, easy, mild flavor.  It never occurred to me to make these fat noodles on my own until I saw a pack in the noodle aisle at H-Mart this week.  There were many from which to choose so I went with the ones in the easiest to read packaging. 

Since today is a snow day, udon noodle soup seemed like a good meal choice (and it would use up the last of my $19 ingredients).  I had to remind myself to keep it simple because to my knowledge udon is not an elaborate dish.  I sauteed garlic, ginger, and scallions, and for the first time seared the seitan in strips like chicken to give it some color.  I boiled the noodles, blanched the carrots, peas, and cabbage; then poured boiling broth (seasoned with tamari, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, and red pepper flakes) over the mixture.  The noodles weren't as fat as Chun's but the flavor was pleasant.  My daughter slurped bowl after bowl. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum - I love Udon noodle soup. I also made soup yesterday in honor of the snow day.

    ReplyDelete