Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ode to Quebec

As soon I saw the 3 ears of corn in my share this week, I knew exactly what I was going to make...or attempt to make.  The cream of corn soup that we had in Vieux Montreal.  There was only one problem...I hadn't taken a picture of it.  It was the soup du jour and it was tasty...more like chicken soup with corn and the consistency of a cream soup.

I spent the past two days searching online for a recipe but couldn't find anything remotely similar so I decided to just go for it.  I sauteed onions and celery, then pureed with my stick blender...added stock, corn cobs, and chicken thighs, a bit of seasonings and let that simmer for about an hour.  It was so fabulously creamy and delicious that I decided to forgo adding cream and carrots for fear that it would alter the flavor.

I put a bunch of kale in the pressure cooker, preheated the oven for the baguette and dropped the corn kernels into the soup.  Dinner was fantastic...I only wish I had saved some of the carrot tops for garnish.

While the soup was simmering I made Herbs Salees - well, I'll know if I was successful in about two weeks.  I went basic... using the carrot tops, celery tops, an onion, a carrot, and some thyme that was lurking in the fridge.  I just hope I didn't overdo the salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment