Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Schoolyear smoothies

This summer we have been able to appreciate the seasonality of the harvest with our CSA because each week an assortment of veggies guides our menu. It also inspired me to drink more water.

One week mint appeared in the share so I decided to make mint water; this became a staple throughout the summer...citrus water, cucumber water, mint water...everything tastes good steeped in water. I even had to increase my water delivery during Ramadan, despite not drinking water for 14 hours each day. Several of my friends have been inspired and have been concocting their own brews at home.

One of my friends is participating in a September smoothie challenge. I gave her a few tips and was inspired to dig out the Magic Bullet I received as a gift 7 years ago (our blender is broken).  Everyone in my house loves kale smoothies...my husband got us hooked last year and then there were the Groothies at school.

As soon as my daughter saw the Magic Bullet she requested a green smoothie for breakfast. I picked up some basic supplies - power greens, pears, frozen fruit, and bananas...and started thinking about variations - celery tops, ginger, nuts, etc.

This morning they were a huge hit and my son wants this to be his daily breakfast.  My next step is to pull out that Jack LaLanne Power Juicer that I also received years ago because I'm totally looking forward to a carrot, beet, ginger combo.

If only I lived closer to Marche Jean-Talon...

1 comment:

  1. Can you post your recipe for the green smoothie?

    ReplyDelete