Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Inspiration



Today was so hot that I could hardly breathe.  I am so thankful for central air but every time I stepped out of the house I was slapped in the face by heat.  My son wanted to go to Coldstone when I picked him up from camp, but I suggested that we buy ice cream and make sundaes at home.  

I absolutely love banana splits. There was a bake-off at one of the cookouts I went to on Saturday, the winner was an 'icecreamless banana split' - it was delicious. Couple that with inspiration from my 'fresh fruit sundae' from Serendipity 3 and voila - a fruit split - butter almond ice cream topped with bananas, peaches, cherries, maple syrup (the real stuff, not the pancake syrup concoction), and whipped cream. 

Speaking of cherries - I think I'm running neck and neck with The Witches of Eastwick...I've eaten at least 6lbs of cherries (grown in Washington state by the Rainier Fruit Company) since Saturday.  It started with a trip to Whole Foods, I decided to take the plunge and get a couple of pounds @ $4.99/lb....I bought a few pounds from Genuardi's Monday @ $1.99/lb, and several more pounds today.  Dark, sweet, firm cherries - just the right topping for a sundae. 

After I indulged in the sundae I thought I'd make a light dinner.  There was a nice shrimp pasta salad at that cookout - instead of mayonnaise, shells, and imitation crabmeat, this salad had shrimp, garlic, tomatoes and spirals tossed with Italian dressing.  Tonight I made a tri-color pasta salad with garlic, red onions, kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, and roasted peppers; topped that with tonno and grated sharp provolone; with sauteed spinach on the side. 

I think I'll eat a bowl of cherries for dessert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment