Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Roti revolution

A couple of weeks ago I "learned" how to make roti.  It's relatively simple to make, if you're Indo-Pak and have mastered the rolling technique because you make it everyday.  I attempted to make roti today.  Attempted is the key word.

First I chopped up a few onions, then I made my accompaniments - keema and aloo.  Both of these dishes are easy to make.  The aloo is similar to homefries, but uses tumeric, chili pepper, and of course garlic-ginger paste.  The keema is ground meat that is browned then finished with tomatoes in a pressure cooker, I decided to add peas for a splash of color and to make it a one pot meal.

Once the accompaniments were completed, I started to roll the roti - of course it kept sticking and I was never able to get the round shape.  I griddled it anyway and the texture was all wrong.  After attempting 4 or 5 pieces, it became clear that something was wrong with my dough and/or rolling technique.  I turned off the pots and dashed to the Indian spice store and bought refrigerated roti.  The clerk commented that they sell lots of it and only fanatics still make it, and then had the nerve to say that it's easy to make.

I returned home, griddled my roti and had a very filling lunch, complete with mango lassi.  I resigned that in 2010, I can allow myself the convenience of pre-rolled roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment