Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mackerel meal

I have always heard Caribbean folk talking about mackerel...my grandmom used to eat mackerel out of the can on crackers so I never had the desire to eat it as a meal until recently.  Salted mackerel was hanging next to the bacalao...it was in a brine rather than a dry crusty covering...and it was only $3.99. 

I made the mackerel last night and it was quite a hit with the family...I had no idea how to prepare it so I sauteed onions, garlic, scallions, thyme, simmered in coconut milk & stock, added the mackerel and tomatoes, simmered and served with cabbage, corn bread, and pressure cooked yams.  The mackerel essence was so flavorful that I quickly cooked two potatoes to absorb some of the juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment