Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Well grounded

I was just "chatting" with my friend about the problem of being exposed to authentic spices.  The other stuff, no matter how fresh or pricey, just doesn't measure up.  It's not necessarily because we're alleged foodies, but moreso because there truly is a difference.

The French refer to it as terroir - how the local environment impacts food, particularly why the distinctiveness of wine (also coffee and tea) varies from region to region based on soil, climate, and other physical features.  This makes a lot of sense in terms of staple foods - who eats rice, wheat, or soy; and the diversity of meal options.  Not to mention how the available fuel sources in a locale contribute to cooking methods.  Terroir also explains the distinction between sources of vanilla and cocoa beans, as well as place-based items such as basmati rice, vidalia onions, tequila, and cognac. 

While I could potentially create a spice blend that resembles berbere, or I could even attempt to grow the plants from cuttings; it would not be the same as the stuff that Abay carries in her suitcase because the geographic coordinates are off.   The same goes for the other blends that I have grown fond of. 

My friend mentioned that her husband made an Asian chicken dish (black bean and garlic sauce with a five spice powder)...she said it was delicious but knows that it would have been better with something "nana" brought back from Hunan or somewhere like that.  I think she's absolutely right, nothing can top mom's powder.

1 comment:

  1. I want to check to see if I can order online. The problem of course is still authenticity. It was still yummy but "Nana's" is always best!

    ReplyDelete