Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, February 14, 2011

Turkey and beans

When my friend mentioned she was making chili the other day, I was shocked...every now and then she surprises me. Last year an acquaintance posted on FB that she wanted to make chili but was out of chili seasoning.  I reminded her that she was married to a Moroccan and likely had the spices necessary to make her own...those seasoning packets have rendered us helpless.

Well, I decided to make chili - that was before my rude awakening.  First I had only one can of kidney beans, so I had to go with favas.  Then I couldn't locate the chili powder (my husband later admitted that he had mistaken it for cayenne pepper and used it).  I started mixing seasonings - a little TJs, ginger, cumin - I avoided using cayenne pepper because it's called chili not cayenne. 

In an act of desperation, I borrowed some chili powder from my neighbor.  It was a cheap brand so I went a little heavy - it had absolutely no impact on the color or taste.  So I added more.  The label said chili powder but the ingredients said salt, silicon dioxide, chili powder, garlic, and who knows what else.  Of course at that moment the chili had a chemical aftertaste.  Yes, it was all in my mind. 

That's when I added nutmeg, saffron, and cayenne - and was quite satisfied with the results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment