Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Before & After

I am exhausted...I guess the rock climbing at the Camporee wasn't the best idea.  It was quite a busy weekend, but the girls had a blast...AND the menu was not traditional processed camp food.  The Service Unit manager is participating in Weight Watchers so she carefully selected the meals.  There was a salad bar at lunch and dinner (romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, chick peas) and last night's dinner was quite tasty - chicken breasts, roasted red skin potatoes, and string beans.  I think the seasoning might've contained a bit of MSG but that certainly didn't stop me from eating a second helping. 

Today I realized that my trip was sandwiched by cooking.  Thursday night I recreated the Mother's Day meal that I never had a chance to eat.  I bought a piece of grass fed top round sirloin, a pound of 26/30 wild shrimp, and a pound of lump crab meat.  When we sat down to eat, I realized I had prepared way too much food for a family of four...but that's the American way...excess.

It was nice to not have to think about meal planning this weekend.  But that infamous questioned loomed into my head as soon as I was leaving camp - what's for dinner?  I knew I did not want to cook anything, nor did I want takeout or to go out.  I also knew that the cupboard was essentially bare. 

As luck would have it, we were in the Garden State.  Although NJ has been steadily converting fertile farmland into residential housing, we stumbled upon Johnson's Corner Farm.  It kind of reminded me of Linvilla Orchards, but better.  When I stepped inside the market, I was taken back to King's Farm Market on Edisto Island.  All of us were taken in by the store, it was as if we were instantly connected to the source of food. 

Fresh picked strawberries, cakes, pies, cucumber salad, beet salad, all kinds of homemade ready-to-cook southwest fare, key lime pie (they had very good samples -with a graham cracker crust), a variety of quiches, and chicken pot pie.  I bought a pot pie and a head of cabbage.  I didn't want want to leave and I'm thinking I'll return (it's actually not that far from Rohrer campus). 

As soon as I arrived home, I preheated the oven, sliced onions, peppers and the cabbage, prepared the food, and took a nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment