Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, May 2, 2011

Corned beef

My mom never cooked corned beef and cabbage, probably because we rarely ate red meat when I was growing up, but she would make a roast beef annually.  I was pleasantly surprised when my friend's mom made corned beef and cabbage one night while I was staying in Yonkers.  It was a hearty one pot meal.  Then my grandmother made it and invited us over for dinner - my son loved it. 

My husband picked up a corned beef eye roast the other day so I decided to give it a shot.  Rather than simmer for 3 hours, I went the pressure cooker route and almost panicked when I opened the package of corned beef and there was no seasoning packet.  I've heard that this seasoning packet was the end all be all. 

I looked online and the only description I could find was pickling seasonings...so I had no choice but to improvise. I inserted galic into slits on the beef, added onions, ginger, and celery to the pot then I used a bit of the mulling spice my friend brought me from WVA, corriander seeds, Everyday Seasoning, and 21 Seasoning Salute.  I cooked that under pressure for an hour, then added potatoes, and wedges of cabbage.  I cooked for another 5 minutes or so and we devoured it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment