Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fish in a flash

Flash frozen fish is a great staple item.  In a pinch you can make a relatively decent meal.  At 6pm last night it occurred to me that I had nothing prepared for my husband and son (my daughter was at a friend's iftar).  Our refrigerator and freezer were pretty bare because I don't like to stockpile food during Ramadan. 

I grabbed the whiting and a bag of peas from the freezer and made a quick pancit with the canton noodles I had in the pantry. 

My friend not so subtly suggested that I make fish or wings and invite her and all of her kids over for an iftar tonight.  I might have went for it but I had already arranged a potential iftar for tonight.  I had convinced my other friend to make samboosa (and of course shorba) because I hadn't had samboosa since last Ramadan. 

I wasn't sure if she was going to make anything else so I thought about what I could bring that would compliment her dishes and suit their tastes.  I made salmon stew.  I knew I couldn't go wrong with fish, onions, and tomatoes.  I even added a teaspoon of bebere for good measure. 

I threw in some frozen chopped spinach and the remaining frozen peas for a hearty simple dish served over yellow grits.  Coincidentally my friend also made fish - fried fillets with rice and green peas.  Our iftar was simple yet filling - of course it's always nice to be in the company of friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment