Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reimagined

I had no choice but to snap out of the rut I've been in since my dad died.  After 16 hours of fasting, it's nice to have an enjoyable meal for iftar.  We're on a tight budget so I needed to work within the framework of what was available in the fridge. 

I thought about making a gravy for the chicken my mom had roasted, or even some sort of soup.  I already have turkey salad that I made last Thursday so I wanted to do something a little less mundane.  Stir fry seemed like a good solution.

I knew I wasn't ready to do a whole bunch of prep so I went to TJ's and bought shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, and peeled garlic.  My plan was to make a quick version of pad kee mao as I had rice flakes in the pantry.

I was able to recover 4 cups of chicken from the carcass.  I cut up an onion and the equivalent of two heads of garlic, then began soaking the noodles as directed.  I mixed up a surprisingly nice sauce (fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, lemon) then heated up the chili oil in the skillet.  I felt a bit exhilarated as I began to cough from the heat. 

I got a little nervous that the 8 ounce package of noodles wasn't going to be enough so I also boiled some capellini for good measure. 

I turned up the flame and quickly tossed in the onions and garlic, then the veggies.  I pushed the veggies to the side and poured in the sauce, I let it smoke then stir fried the noodles, creating two seperate dishes.  We thoroughly enjoyed it and my husband declared it as one of his new favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment