Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Friday, August 19, 2011

Gravy

I picked up a pack of chicken thighs from Whole Foods on Tuesday with the intention to make smothered chicken Thursday.  Yesterday my entire afternoon slipped away from me because I was dealing with the vulturism that emerges after someone dies.  It was time to break the fast and I had no iftar.  Fortunately I had skinned and seasoned the chicken earlier in the day so all I had to do was cook it.  My only option was the pressure cooker.

I have never made smothered chicken in a pressure cooker but I figured it couldn't be that bad.  I sauteed the onions, then browned the chicken.  I poured off the oil, put the onions on top the chicken, added some water and a packet of gravy mix I had picked up from Whole Foods.  I let that cook on high pressure for about 6 minutes while I sauteed more onions, made some rice and a bit of gravy from the oil.  I threw some frozen petit brussel sprouts in the microwave and we were eating within 20 minutes. 

My mom was pleasantly surprised.  The gravy was fantastic.  And we topped it off with fresh squeezed lemonade!

No comments:

Post a Comment