Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Day of Prep

I couldn't afford to have a repeat of last week...running around scattered...so I blocked out a few hours on my schedule for meal prep. My plan was to make the loaves to carry us for 2 days of breakfast, meaffins for Thursday (will be a constant this semester), crockpot drumsticks for Monday, and the wild-caught Dover Sole I caught on a WF Hot Deal ($7.99/lb) for tonight. I figured I could fill in the other days as needed based on leftovers...and of course Vitamix soup.

The first snag was I forgot to buy the bulk turkey sage sausage yesterday and the chicken sausage at WF is encased in pork, so I had to go with Wellshire Farms brown serve chicken apple links...this time I snazzed it up with some chèvre and kale, and substituted the red bliss for sweet potatoes...I'm super curious about the outcome. 

I brought 6 pounds of grass-fed ground beef at the WF One-Day-Deal ($4.99/lb) but I couldn't bring myself to remake the meaffins, instead I went for kefta meatballs (baked in a muffin pan), which I will accompany with a yogurt sauce, pita, and eggplant (most likely baba ganoush). The meatballs were too easy...I just used my Moroccan spices (cumin, nutmeg, paprika, ginger, & pepper), cilantro, onions, and garlic. I will pull them out of the freezer Wednesday evening.  I just have to figure out some way to rotate the flavors so that they don't become redundant.  

I forgot to take the drumsticks out of the freezer and hadn't even thought about how I would prepare them, so I bought a bottle of bbq sauce (yes, shameful) from WF...I sprinkled some seasoning on the drumsticks, dropped in onion, celery, carrot, and a seeded habanero...poured in half the bottle, then moved onto the next task. 

The hummus for lunch is a no brainer, especially with the Vitamix purée setting, but my planned salad-in-a-jar wasn't looking too good once I realized I had no meat for the base...finally I popped a few eggs in the egg machine, made a honey dijon dressing, and kept it moving.

Two & a half hours later, I'm looking good for the week - I'll make pressure cooker collards on Monday and do something with the eggplant Thursday...I also have golden beets and frozen haricots verts and okra...now I just have to prepare tonight's dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment