Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Leftovers gone haywire

Last night I conceptualized a easy dinner...I would convert the leftover lamb into pita wraps topped with zucchini, tomatoes, bok choy, and a garlic-cilantro-yogurt sauce. I planned to make eggplant or okra on the side...something went terribly awry.

I came up with the brilliant idea that I'd make baba ganoush, which I love but don't know how to make...I called my Syrian friend for instructions then went and bought some tahini when I picked up the pita. When I stepped into the kitchen I realized I had to make quite a few things but I told my sister that it wasn't a big deal because I have the Vitamix...clearly I was laboring under a misapprehension.


I put the eggplant under the broiler to roast while I for started with everything else. First I had to made chicken salad for my daughter's lunch...I was able to give my sister instructions while I made the hummus for my son's lunch (I used the purée setting this time...very smooth).  Then I put the chicken in the marinator and made the yogurt sauce. Yes, chicken...for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to cook chicken in addition to the lamb leftovers on a Wednesday night. 

I had my sister sauté the onions, chicken, and quickly heat the lamb while I made my baba ganoush attempt. It actually turned out ok...not the stuff I love, but with some tweaking I'll be running this in the ground in no time. I set the table taco style and we dug in...dinner turned out quite well...my sister lamented that "these flavors bring back memories"...an ode to Al Ain.

2 comments:

  1. How did the baba ghanouj taste? I see the color is light. I am liking this business so much my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baba ganoush was good but something was missing...I will roast it a little longer and maybe try the kind with yogurt to compare. The kids liked it...I never told them what it was supposed to be and they said "is this like baba ganoush?"

    ReplyDelete