Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mixed up Meaffins

My son and I made "meaffins" for the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge...we mixed ground beef and black beans and went with a Mexican flavor. We didn't win the challenge but they became a nice addition to our family convenience meal options.

With all of the hustle & bustle of the onset of the school year and fall sports, I had to revive the meaffin. I used a totally different recipe but the concept was still basically the same. My goal was to use up what I had in the fridge...a pound and a half of ground turkey, tomatoes, a handful of peppers, onions, handful of garlic cloves, cilantro, all mixed in with a hodgepodge of seasoning. I baked them in a muffin pan for about 40 min and voila an easy dinner and lunch entree. I added a corn potato soup to the side that I prepared from the last 2 potatoes and ears of corn lurking in the fridge from the CSA, I simmered for 5 minutes in the stock from the chicken salad, blended in the Vitamix for a great texture, then added in another ear of corn for body. The only thing missing for tonight is something green, but I'm out of time.  Perhaps there'll be some salad greens in today's CSA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment