Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Avocado improv

I remember when I first tried to peel an avocado...ten years ago I grew an affection for guacamole but also liked avocados for their vitamin E content when I was obsessed with having healthy skin and hair.  We bought an avocado let it ripen (like a banana it can ripen after picking which is why it can be shipped all over the world) and I tried to peel it...disaster (similar to my experience with an artichoke). 

While in the UAE I fell in love with avocado shakes several years ago and was finally able to recreate them while visiting a friend in New Rochelle.  They had several avocados so I asked her boyfriend how to peel them, he said, you don't - just cut it in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh...wow...I made the shakes and they were a hit...been making them ever since.

My husband bought 10 avocados two weeks ago because they were on sale at Genuardi's...amazingly enough they haven't rotted in the refrigerator (probably because they're a GMO).  This morning I was scavenging for food and saw the remaining avocados...problem - no milk...out of desperation, I used coconut milk and half and half and the shake is absolutely fantastic. 

I'm thinking I may step my avocado game up and start doing other things with this fatty, smooth, flesh that is rich in vitamins, fiber, and potassium.

No comments:

Post a Comment