Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Slacker

In recent weeks, dinner has been a rotation through my core meals - I haven't had the time nor brain power to think of anything new so I've been making due with lentils, chicken, veggies, and seafood mostly in the form of soup.  The only variation has been baked ziti this past Tuesday and tuna hoagies on Thursday. 

The tuna hoagies were quite tasty.  I used Italian canned tuna (solid light in olive oil) on an Amoroso roll with sharp provolone, sauteed spinach, roasted peppers, and garlic with a caesar salad on the side.  Tonight we're having a pseudo-family dinner with party pans from Maggianos...times have certainly changed. 

Once this semester is behind me, I would like to explore healthy, kid-friendly campfire recipes.  Last weekend I took a few girls to the Outdoor Skills weekend...I cooked a peach cobbler in a dutch oven over the fire, we made cornbread in a cardboard box covered with aluminum foil, and a host of easy to make outdoor recipes...but I think we traded nutrition for convenience because shortcuts come with a price, usually measured as increased chemical additives to food.  This weekend we prepared tacos on our overnight STEM trip. Instead of buying a kit, I gathered individual ingredients (except the ground turkey thigh)  from TJs with a substantial savings of MSG - delicious. 

In hindsight, menu-planning would have helped maintain the spice in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment