Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, December 14, 2009

Beef, that's what's for dinner

It seemed like we were overrun with miscellaneous leftovers but they were quickly devoured between my husband’s lunch and the kid’s afterschool snacks – for some reason when they come home from school they’re ravenous.

My husband was pestering me about making the beef; and had the nerve to tell me how to make it – can you make it plain, without all the vegetables and sauces; I just want to taste the beef. Then I was dumbfounded. I couldn’t remember how to roast a beef – I’ve been doing pot roasts for so long; then I thought a using an oven bag, but that’s also juicy, so I thought about picanha – of course I didn’t have the right cut of meat, nor was I going to grill it, but I went for it anyway. In hindsight I suppose I could’ve cooked it in my Showtime rotisserie oven that I haven’t used in at least 5 years but I used my convection oven instead.

I don’t know why I insist on cooking after a day of ripping and running. It was almost 2pm when I returned home, fortunately I had sense enough to “marinate” the meat earlier – garlic, pepper, seasonings, worcestersire sauce, a splash of red wine, and olive oil. I took it out of the refrigerator to bring it room temperature, and then put it in the oven. The planned accompaniments were asparagus and mashed potatoes. However, since it was Thursday, I had to teach, so they ate a corn and spinach concoction and TJ mac & cheese (TJs conveniences reentered as a result of the blister and flu fiascos, not to mention I have been extremely busy with end of the semester odds and ends).

The meat was delicious – flavorful and tender – my husband said, this reminds me of something, I said, picanha? He said, yes!

1 comment:

  1. I've read back a bit and this blog is right up my alley! Thank you for sharing. I've added it to my feed - no pun intended. - J. Walsh

    ReplyDelete