Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, December 21, 2009

Shrimp and grits

We left Philadelphia just in time to avoid 20" of snow and have been enjoying walks on the beach and bike rides (I love my new bike!). We'll be on Hilton Head Island for a week so of course we need to think about what to eat!  Local seafood makes the most sense.  Why buy shrimp from Thailand when you can get wild caught South Carolina red shrimp?  I cooked those today with yellow grits for a toe-tapping breakfast.  I don't think I remember a shrimp tasting that good.


I bought the shrimp from the Publix but I asked around and will go to Barnacle Bills later to re-up.  I also want to go to Bluffton Oyster Company to get oysters so that I can try to make a oyster gumbo...I'm just pissed with myself for putting the shrimp shells in the garbage disposal instead of making a stock out of them.

We are still in shrimping season so I got excited when I saw the opportunity to go out for a educational excursion on a shrimping boat - until I saw that it uses trawling - what's the lesson - how to ruin a habitat?

I haven't noticed any industry so I imagine the waterways are relatively pristine...I'm thinking about all the stuff I want to cook this week - oysters, pan seared sea scallops, grilled fish; and I want a burger - haven't had one in ages, I wonder where's the grass fed beef in these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment