Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fool me once...

Tonight the joke's on me.  If only I had followed my instincts my kids wouldn't be laughing at me.  I was in Wegman's last night, while I was getting orange juice, I grabbed a Dole orange-pineapple-banana and a new Dole Sensations watermelon juice caught my eye.  I was pleasantly surprised because we enjoy watermelon juice - first had it in Al Ain and now I make it at home instead of sorbet.  It's refreshingly hydrating. 

Obviously I knew that the carton of juice was not going to be like the fresh stuff, largely because I assumed it would be filtered.  We drank some this morning, my son loved it, but the rest of us thought it was  little sweet and lacked body.  At dinner, the juice returned to the table and once again, too sweet.  My sister read the ingredients - filtered water, sugar....what, sugar?  what do you mean, sugar?  That's when I noticed that the 100% label I saw in the bottom left-hand corner said 100% natural, not 100% juice...shame on me for getting fooled by marketing.

My son learned how to read nutrition labels in kindergarten, so of course he started with the nutrition facts and then exclaimed "it's only 10% juice!" - then they all started laughing because clearly I had not read the label at all.  My sister said, "it probably has the same amount of calories as high fructose corn syrup" and we laughed some more. 

This is not the first time I've been fooled when relying solely on brand recognition.  We drank Apple and Eve's mango passion for years until finally I grew tired of it.  One day, I unwittingly picked up a bottle of tropical juice...when I got home and put it in the refrigerator, I noticed that not only was it not 100% juice, but it also contained HFCS...I was shocked and returned it to the store on my next shopping trip. 

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you...fool me, you can't get fooled again." 

No comments:

Post a Comment