Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, March 1, 2010

Refining dining

A refinery is where raw materials are converted into a valuable resource - petroleum, metal, sugar, salt, vegetable oil, etc...usually the finished product looks and behaves vastly different than the source material. In terms of food products, we are learning that a diet heavy in refined foods is essentially hazardous to our health, just as refining facilities often have a negative environmental impact. Nutritional advisors generally suggest avoiding/reducing the intake of refined foods; instead use whole grains, there’s more nutritional value and less negative impact on your body, largely because whole foods are a few processes closer to what comes out of the ground.

The season of Lent is upon us hence many Christians are giving something up - sweets or meats, usually on Fridays, some are even doing the Daniel Fast. The Daniel Fast seems like a great way to cleanse your body and subsequently cleanse your soul. I could certainly use a little of both. I’ve recently become aware of the Corn Refiners Association’s marketing scam. I need to seriously rethink my diet - it's really not enough to avoid food enhancers like HFCS, MSG, Trans Fat, and Lord knows what else; and although it’s great that I use low fat cooking methods and there’s a lot of fiber and vegetables in my diet, my daily bread needs major overhauling – I seriously need to cut the crap. Dining needs to be refined such that the result is a valuable resource - food that nourishes and heals our bodies rather than deteriorating it.

I’m on a mission and I’m looking for support – cheerleaders, contributors, joiners, etc – I want to refine how I dine and I’m not interested in compromising taste. Perhaps I can start with a 3, 5, or 7-day challenge – no meat, animal, or dairy products (I may have to make an exception for butter though); no sweeteners; nothing refined or processed; nothing deep fried. This means my diet will consist of fruits, vegetables, whole-grains, nuts, legumes, water, and 100% juice (in moderation).

I need a menu, desperately – I’m inclined to look to the Mediterranean for inspiration but am open for suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. Bring it Shorti I'm down for whatever you want to do. With moderation right. As long as taste hasn't been compromised let us begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to do this and i do have many good recipies to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...I'm suggesting March 22-26 or April 5-9...I feel the need to wait until cookie season comes to a close (or am I being a chump?) and Spring Break is probably not a reality...let's get planning!

    ReplyDelete