Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, November 23, 2009

Continental cooking

Last night my sister said "Go America"...cheering the simple yet flavorful dinner of turkey wings, yams, brussel sprouts.


Growing up, we consumed parts of the turkey - breast, chops, ground meat - but never the wings or legs. Two years ago I began loving turkey wings. My mother-in-law is not a great cook but she makes some nice dishes. Generally she cooks an assortment of things when she has gatherings - a little bit of everything. At one dinner she made a little bit of turkey wings, such that we each had one...they were delicious...the next time I wanted turkey wings, I asked her to make them...my Aunt Liz couldn't believe that I didn't know how to make turkey wings...she said the secret was to season them well and slow cook them with a bit of liquid...that explained why I failed the one time I tried to convection cook the turkey wings. Once I mastered the technique, we were eating turkey wings pretty regularly - it was the easiest semblance of a meal I could produce given my tight schedule.

I was at a function Saturday night...there was an smorgasbord of not-so-tasty food that included turkey wings; the only good thing was my aunt-in-law's cabbage...I still can't figure out how she makes it...though I think it has something to do with the cooking technique - the cabbage is almost caramelized (I should've taken a picture of it). The turkey wings were so lacking that I decided to make them for Sunday dinner. I picked up 2 stalks of brussel sprouts (I sautéed onions then simmered these in just a bit of liquid) and yams (simmered in OJ) from TJs as accompaniments.

The dinner was attractive and bursting with flavor...good ole fashioned home cookin'.

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour Vincent- I submitted the blog but was unable to add the gadget.

    ReplyDelete