Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Indigenous food

This blister situation has adversely impacted our meals. Food prep, etc has been next to impossible. I attempted to make a roast on Tuesday…I wanted to do something different so I decided to go Italian – heavy on the tomatoes, garlic, and onions but something didn’t quite work out – perhaps when I overdid it by adding beef broth and onion soup mix. I served that over polenta – boiled cornmeal in broth then added butter, cheese, and parsley – not too bad, but when you’re accustomed to eating meat and potatoes, it’s a little weird.

I then made the mistake of going to see Food, Inc with my friend from the wildlife refuge. I consider myself to be a foodie and we both consider ourselves to be informed citizens – aware of the environmental impacts of food production, etc –boy were we shocked and aghast with what we saw. I left the film wondering what I could actually afford to buy that was food - as opposed to this genetically modified stuff that permeates every facet of the modern food chain.

We spent Thursday – Saturday in the metropolitan DC area. We did not partake in a turkey dinner with our extended family but I did consume a substantial amount of food with no regard to its origin. I wouldn’t mind doing a dinner of game meats and native crops for our next First Sunday family gathering. While in DC, we visited the National Museum of the American Indian – this seems quite appropriate considering the farce under which we celebrate Thanksgiving. The Maize of the Americas exhibition was especially interesting for me given my interest in Mesoamerican cuisine…but there seemed to be some intentional subtle linkages made between the indigenous use of corn and our current overproduction and the subsequent new uses of corn and its derivatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment