Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, November 30, 2009

Petit poulet

What has it come to when we our primary concern about food production is cost and taste as opposed to nutrition? While driving to the Bronx I was listening to BBC and learned that through stem cell research they have been able to produce pork in the laboratory. This laboratory produced meat will alleviate the need for livestock and the associated environmental problems associated with factory farming. Initially the meat will be used as a filler for items such as sausage, ground meat, and other processed meat, but the goal is to produce things like steak, ham, and roasts. Something is dreadfully wrong when the solution to problems with food production is found in the laboratory as opposed to the land.


Yesterday after running errands, I went to the Drexeline Fresh Grocer. This is actually my Fresh Grocer of choice largely because I have more confidence in the freshness of the meat and produce than I do within the city limits. My plan was to roast a chicken for dinner but after seeing Food, Inc, I was a little apprehensive about buying one. There were two kinds of whole chickens – fryers and oven stuffer roasters.

I remember when oven stuffer roasters hit the market – they were plumper and went a lot further than the fryers – I think it was in the early 90s and sometimes you could get one for 79¢/pound. I have since learned that chickens have been genetically modified to grow larger breasts that subsequently impede their ability to be ambulatory.

Fresh Grocer always wins me over with the label that they put on their chickens “ I am strictly fresh – use within 2-3 days” the roaster label contained a disclaimer as well – “no hormones or steroids” – I guess not if it’s already in the DNA. Both the roasters and the fryers were $1.19/pound – clearly the roaster gave you more bang for your buck; I went with the fryer and my son asked “why are you buying those tiny chickens.” I explained the problem with a chicken with an oversized bosom trying to walk. He put 3 fryers in the cart – I guess from his 8-year-old perception, 3 fryers = 1 roaster (actually in terms of poundage, 3 fryers = 1 ½ roasters).


We ate dinner quite late (8pm) but it was tasty – roasted chicken with cornbread stuffing (due to the late hour I had no time to brine so I made a seasoned butter and rubbed it between the skin and the flesh), yams (this was the last of my supply – I simmered/steamed these in apple cider with a bit a butter and cinnamon – delicious), mac & cheese (I don’t use elbows, I use a combination of penne and shell pasta, I make a cream sauce, mix into the noodles, then put into the oven to set), and a kale/spinach combo (I used ethnic influences and it turned out great – onions, garlic, ginger, red pepper (yellow would have been more attractive), kale, peanut butter, spinach – I thinly sliced the kale and used whole broad leaves for the spinach).

My little birds were golden brown and juicy…honestly I don’t understand the hype with white meat, the dark meat is substantially more flavorful – the next bird I cook will be a duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment