Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, November 7, 2009

A meal from al Mahgreb


For brunch yesterday I did Salt Fish and Pumpkin, this time with butternut squash. Then I went on a greasy spoon binge – beef pepperoni pizza, fried chicken wings, and French fries. I needed to detox so I just finished making a North African vegetable stew. Tomorrow I will have to make a turkey soup because my daughter is sick. My mother told the kids that you have to have chicken soup when you’re sick, so it’s been requested…I ‘m working with the remains from last Sunday, so turkey it is.

I used to make this stew 3 years ago or so but I have no idea as to how I used to make it, what vegetables I used, etc. The only thing I do know is that I primarily used my Moroccan spices – ginger, cumin, nutmeg, paprika. Today I used onions, tomatoes, garlic and tomato paste (not sure why), then I added lentils (for protein), carrots, yams, then okra and eggplant. I found a cup of bulk couscous in the pantry that is past its prime so I made couscous on the side to complete the protein. The pot was so full that I couldn’t fit the entire eggplant so I thought of some options.

Baba ghanoush – sort of.

Some recipes call for tahini; I think Mom (Al Ain) makes it with yogurt…I have neither. I think I went a little too heavy on the garlic, but it works…I need something to eat with it…maybe I’ll make some pita chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment