Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Go to the source


I went to my brother's yesterday to learn how to make my Filipino favorites - escabeche & pancit.  It's ridiculous how simple it is to make, they key is good ingredients and technique - makes me think back to when we made a stir fry in 7th grade home ec. Not a lot of ingredients or spices - I'm starting to think that excess seasoning in many ways perverts the food, masking instead of enhancing.

I have been eating Filipino food for 25 years and never once considered cooking it...it's light, quick, and easy.  My sister-in-law introduced me to mangoes when I was 10 years old and I learned to enjoy rice without butter, gravy, etc.  I guess our food preferences are largely shaped by what's familiar and enhanced by spatial interaction.

Yesterday I learned that there are many Filipino tastes that we never experienced; we only ate the things that were familiar (pancit is similar to lo mein, last night we made it with the clear rice noodles; escabeche is basically a sweet and sour fish - ginger is the key ingredient - we made it with tilapia - whole tilapia is a common substitution for ethnic cooking - I also use tilapia when making Senegalese poisson).  She was so surprised when I asked her to make the stinky brown fish - besogo - it's actually salted and dried, eaten as an appetizer over rice.  I am planning to return to expand my repertoire.  It was really nice to see my family, my brother & his wife were thrilled with the loaf that I brought - I think it's been way too long.

4 comments:

  1. I also grew up on Filipino food but I've never really made any of the dishes. My parents know how to cook it very authentic. I should start learning with something easy like pancit. My favorite is chicken adobo. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go learning how to make something new! Then it becomes so much more accessible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! My brother is so excited about me cooking the food that he has came up with a list and a strategy for me to learn it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nmos - I'm excited about learning more about Filipino food and my brother is even more hyped...I'm planning to go learn more recipes next week...I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete