Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Interrupting the flow

I knew I had made a mistake as soon as I sat down to eat my food.  Knowing all that I allegedly know about our "Fast Food Nation," after the cookie booth I decided to go to Five Guys today despite the knowledge that I think I have.  The place was packed with people of varying demographics...I ordered a regular cheeseburger, not knowing that it was actually a double burger, and a large fry to share.  I watched them cook the burgers on the grill and saw the grease oozing out - the sign says we cook our burgers "juicy and well done" - well done kills the E. coli and juicy is a matter of interpretation. 

I sat down and unwrapped my burger, it seemed to be dripping in grease, lit-ter-ral-ly (as some folks say)...I alternated between the fries and bites of the burger - it was delicious.  Suddenly my chest began to hurt, so I gulped down a chemical concoction commonly known as a Cherry Coke and continued to eat.  Then, my stomach started hurting but I kept eating.  Finally I realized that if I took another bite I was going to vomit, so I stopped.

I ran a few errands and arrived home 2 hours later.  By this time I was very sluggish such that I could barely function.  That's when it occurred to me - that food could've killed me...fat interrupts blood flow and oxygen delivery, couple that with the stress that I'm under - someone call 9-1-1. 

When I walked in the door, I prayed, drank 32 ounces of water, and got on the treadmill for 10 minutes (it would've been longer if my back hadn't started aching).  I'm thinking I need a serious detox.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I feel fortunate or unfortunate that filth fare (what we call fast food in my house) doesn't make me feel that way. I find it fascinating that regardless of how bad we know it is for us we still like to indulge here and there. It just tastes so damn good!

    I hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete