Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Friday, November 12, 2010

Amazing aroma

When sauteed, onions and tomatoes produce amazing aromas.  Many people say that you eat with your eyes first - the food should look appealing.  While I tend to stay away from food that looks blah, it is my nose that entices me.  The olfactory receptor is essentially how we "taste" food, so it makes sense that aroma draws people in...hence puttanesca. 

That tangy sauce just tantalizes me...preparing it, smelling it, tasting it...it has become one of my favorites.  Yesterday I had it over Ronzoni Smart Taste thin spaghetti (don't get me started again about how complicated pasta has become).  I have a new quick recipe that is bursting with flavor.  I was in Wegman's and realized that at $7.49/lb the Mediterranean Olive Bar was a much better choice than jarred olives...I also picked up some roasted garlic - not only was that a time saver, but it was an excellent flavor enhancer.  I cut yet another corner by purchasing canned crushed tomatoes with Italian seasonings...needless to say, all I had to do was saute the onion, olives, capers, and anchovies, and toss everything else in the pot...I simmered for a bit and voila - a pleasurable dish.

Today, it was onions and tomatoes again.  I wanted to thank my colleagues for their support so I made timtimo.  It was a crowd pleaser.  Not only is it a great vegetarian option, but it's aromatic and flavorful.  I brought it in a crock pot, which drew passersby into my office with inquiries.  Sharing this food brought me joy, particularly because everyone willingly used their injera as a utensil.  The injera was so fresh that I never used the kisra that I bought.

Of course I had to make another batch for the family...now I must explore the food of the neighboring countrymen that occupy the Horn (yes, I'm including Sudan).

No comments:

Post a Comment