Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, November 14, 2010

A taste of Peru

On the way home from our Girl Scout program, I realized that not only did I not prepare anything for dinner, but my daughter led song workshops for 2 hours with nothing to drink.  She requested chicken soup with big noodles like my mom makes when I get sick.  I had a better idea.

I started by sauteeing mirepoix (purchased from TJ for convenience sake); added a chopped head of garlic; semi-minced ginger; and a sliver of a habanero.  I added some broth and some boneless thighs from the freezer and then the yuca.  I seasoned and let it simmer...after I added the cilantro, the family was drawn in, in anxious anticipation they kept asking when it would be ready. 

As soon as my husband tasted the aguadito de pollo, he remembered our pit stop in Miami...this time we used lime, habanero, and scallions as condiments.  Sitting at the table, I remembered picking up a pack of frozen guanabana pulp from Wegmans.  I blended that with evaporated milk, water, and sugar and although I think it smells a little funky, it's very good.  The kids were thrilled to share our vacation memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment