Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Underlying concern

Clearly the average person knows that something is not quite right with our food; they just don't know why.

After dinner I showed the guests the duck pieces and it stimulated a very interesting conversation.  My mom was excited that I had a fresh duck; my grandmother mentioned how cooking poultry is faster now because animals don't walk around on the ground anymore; they all started wondering about the huge breasts on chicken.  My grandmother also wondered why they are making us eat grain fed beef.  I took the opportunity to enlighten them about meat and dairy production.  As I described the feedlots and chicken houses, my mom wondered if any food was safe to eat. Eureka...she now understands why I shop where I do.  But as I discovered Friday, even that is romanticized...it's no wonder why my Indonesian friend travels from King of Prussia to South Philadelphia to go grocery shopping. 


The conversation shifted to produce; no one could recall the last time they had a real tomato, plum, or nectarine. They hadn't realized that most of the produce has undergone some genetic modification because our food production system has been hijacked by industry and chemical companies.  We have shed the shackles of agrarian life..welcome to post-industrial society.

We talked about the whole gamut, from factory farm to table. My mom wondered why the food wasn't labeled to keep us informed. They said no wonder everyone has all these unexplained illnesses. They couldn't fathom why this would be done to the food that is supposed to sustain us.

2 comments:

  1. It was interesting to see this duck span three posts. I was fascinated by the photo and I'm glad it was such a conversation stimulant. As for me, I think that would bring me too close for comfort to my food. It disappoints me in a way that I feel that way. Maybe I'll just have to go and get a duck like that and see how it makes me feel. I'm certain I could prep and cook it - not sure if I could eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda felt the same way - disappointed in myself...I think I've been harping on it for days because it really made an impact.
    Cutting off the feet and the head was a little strange but that's what you have to do if you want to eat, I suppose.
    My daughter was truly traumatized...she barely ate any duck...and even today, the carcass made her wince...but she did enjoy the soup. My son on the other hand desperately wants to show the duck parts off.

    ReplyDelete