Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Souper

I was feeling a bit defeated today but I knew that was no excuse to order out.  I tried to think of something I could prepare relatively quickly that would be comforting as well...soup is a food that soothes the senses.  I had asked my husband to pick up a butternut squash and an acorn squash; instead he bought 4 butternuts and 2 acorns.  Clearly I had no choice but to make butternut squash soup.

I am certain that I have made this soup many times in the past...but my soup making days were almost a decade ago...so I gave it my best shot.  Sauteed onions in butter (of course), added celery, then peeled and cubed two squash...I decided to get daring and added a potato and an apple.  I wasn't sure if I was going for sweet or savory, so I decided to make the seasonings savory. 

Once the vegetables were tender, I pureed with my stick blender (leaving a little texture) and was too tickled with my creation.  The aroma filled the air and I was overcome by a sense of relief.  I ladled some soup into a bowl and folded in a little heavy cream and topped with nutmeg. 

The soup is pleasant and has dimension...for a moment, the complexity of the soup allowed me to escape the complexity of my life. 

2 comments: