Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mirchi biryani

It seems that this snowstorm has kept me in the kitchen (perhaps I would be a good candidate for being barefoot and pregnant).  This morning I looked out of the kitchen window and it looked like we'd be buried in this cul de sac for weeks...my husband has been at work almost nonstop so I had to go out, brave the elements, and shovel with the neighbors.  He had the Pilot, so I was certain I would continue to be housebound, but the G35x proved quite capable at traversing the snow.  Sayounara cabin fever. 

My neighbor and I drove to the supermarket and I just started putting stuff in the cart...then I stopped by the Indian spice store and went crazy...between the two stores, I spent $80.  I came home hyped up, ready to make biryani.  My friend has been running biryani in the ground; she got strung out on Tilda rice and can't stop making it, even though she's diabetic.  I bought some Tilda today to see if it lives up to her accolades. 

I think the adrenaline rush made me crazy...I decided to deviate from the "recipe" - I added sauteed onions and tomatoes - and tripled the spice.  I made broccoli sauteed in onions, garlic, and ginger and seasoned with garam masala, we also had raita on the side (which we desperately needed).  When I called my Indian friend to ask the word for spice (mirchi - the word for pepper) and told her the quantity I used, she asked if I was crazy.  The biryani was very good, but is so hot that we were sweating, our noses were running, and my chest is still burning.  We are in desperate need of mango lassi...guess I'd better hop to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment