Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Zesty zigni

Zigni ended up being quite appropriate last tonight.  I planned to make lentils but ended up running errands with my grandmom...while I was out I bought a pack of chicken legs and thighs (on Tuesdays there's always a possibility of a dinner guest, so I wanted to be prepared); I wanted to make zigni but the local stores were out of injera - this is what happens when you wait too long...I went to Abyssinia and was excited to learn that they make their own injera and charge 75 cents each. 
By the time I got started with dinner it was around 6pm; I had to run out and get more onions.  Everything was simmering and around 8pm I realized that I needed to go pick up a package at Fedex - this turned out to be a wild goose chase, in the snow (the driver left the wrong tag on the door - thus my package was at Grays Ferry not Cargo City).  I made potatoes on the side (essentially homefries seasoned with a bit of berbere), and some spinach sauteed with onions and garlic to balance out the meal. 

We ate dinner around 10pm (I had gotten a friend to ride to Fedex with me and brought her over to eat).  We placed a disposable miata on the floor, sat around the dish using injera as our utensils and ate, warmed by the spices on a cold snowy night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment