Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, February 4, 2010

From the archives

Tuesday I had lunch with a friend and she said she was making spaghetti for dinner; being the dietary police office that I am, I asked what she planned to make for herself (she's diabetic) and suggested chicken parmesan or cacciatore.  While we were talking I remembered my grandmother's easy meal - chicken wings in spaghetti sauce simmered in the oven...I used to call this cacciatore because I would add peppers, etc to the pot (I have since learned that cacciatore is actually a brown stew and contains mushrooms).  My grandmother also taught me how to be a more efficient cook - cook 2-3 meals on Sunday to last throughout the week; when making a casserole or lasagna, make 2 pans (eat one, freeze one).

I ended up revisiting this one pot dish...I used drumsticks, canned tomatoes, and a jar of 365 sauce (which by the way was quite tasty), and lots of onions, garlic, and multi-colored peppers - I baked it for almost 2 hours, it was savory and substantial enough for two meals.  I served this over spaghetti (spiral quinoa noodles for my husband), with steamed broccoli on the side. 

I'm back to the grind of teaching and traveling to the Bronx; couple this with Girl Scout cookies and that explains the deterioration of the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment