Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Against the grain

I'm stuffed.  I think it's mostly liquid but I can hardly breathe.  We had turkey wings tonight - I did them a little different, added tomatoes and green peppers, along with carrots and potatoes - quite flavorful.  I was thinking about dessert earlier and the kids said no more pies or cobblers...they wanted carrot cake - not likely. 

I wanted to use the peaches that were in the refrigerator on their last legs and remembered purchasing a loaf of bread about a week ago that was never opened and was not likely to get eaten, so bread pudding seemed like the best solution.  My main concern was that I usually use challah or french bread, and all I had was Vermont Bread Soft 10 Grain. I wondered if the texture would be ok, or the taste too strong, but I went for it figuring it would at least add a healthy twist to a high-carb dessert.   

I went with my typical formula and just added a bit more liquid - sugar, cinnamon, salt, eggs, vanilla, butter, half & half.  I considered making a vanilla sauce but didn't feel like the effort, so I whipped up some cream instead.  You can truly taste the difference between cream made with carrageenan (shelf stabilizing seaweed extract) and cream that's just cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment