Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Roadside attractions

It seems that this road trip has been all about food.  We left Myrtle Beach and made a major diversion to Edisto on the way to Lake Marion - why - key lime pie! While there I also picked up some almost local (North Carolina) tomatoes and some pickling cucumbers.  There were a couple of things that caught my eye at Kings Market - vidalia onion quiche, breakfast quiche, shrimp and crab casserole, and of course tomato pie - but I figured I could make those things.  On the way to Edisto we made a pit stop to the Fishernet in St. Johns to grab lunch and then made a screeching stop at Baker's Seafood in Walterboro to pick up some fresh wild shrimp (I chuckled at the sign on the door "friends don't let friends eat imported shrimp" - ain't that the truth). 

Now we're lakefront and our vacation has officially started - other than some potential watersports, there's absolutely nothing on the agenda for the next couple of days (except a research proposal that's looming over my shoulders).  I made tomato and cucumber sandwiches for lunch (buying bread is such a chore - checking for HFCS and a decent fiber count - I ended up with Earthgrain's 7-grain).  The kids went to the pool and I got started on my tomato pie. 

Sliced tomatoes layered with seasoning, onions, peppers, and garlic; topped with a cheese/mayo combo and crushed crackers.  While that was baking, I thought I should do something with the fresh okra that I bought, so I made okra rice.  Sauteed onions and peppers, then simmered the okra, added rice and simmered. 

That's good eatin'.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Tomato pie! We have been doing the same. I have cooked every day and find it as relaxing as ever-especially with all the fresh local food in WV. I wondered how seafood prices have been on your travels. Most seafood here is shipped in from the Chesapeake I suspect. Unless you catch it yourself. I am taking a page from your book and going on the hunt tomorrow for scallops!

    ReplyDelete