Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Great expectations

I'm starting to think that I'm a has been.  It seems like an eternity since Lazeez Goodeez was outputting dessert on a regular basis.  Every now and again someone brings up the ghost of Lazeez past...and they always seem to do so with longing - remember when...

We had two of my biggest supporters over for iftar tonight, one of whom recalled the blueberry carrot cake that I used to make (I totally had forgotten about that cake).  The problem with these two is that they have come to expect a certain caliber of meal and I feel obliged to comply. 

When my husband suggested having a small iftar I didn't really feel up to it so I tried to think of a simple yet satisfying meal.  I decided on qulwah.  I'm not in South Carolina anymore so I went to Wegman's yesterday and picked up a grass fed chuck roast, Jersey tomatoes, peaches, and peppers,  Whoa, back to reality...although the local produce is relatively inexpensive because gas and tolls aren't incorporated in the price, it's not comparable to what I found in SC in terms of price or ripeness. 

This morning we dashed out for injera and some last minute odds and ends.  Then I got to work in the kitchen - fortunately my husband chopped all onions fo the qulwah so I was able to start the sides - mixed greens, okra rice, and cucumber tomato salad (with samak).  Then got to work on the peach pie, put the beans in the coffee maker, and waited for the guests to arrive.

Alhamdulilah, everyone enjoyed their meal (including the Ethiopians!).  Although my back is killing me, it was certainly worth the effort and it was great seeing everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment