Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Apples n' cream

We arrived back home around 1230pm and of course I had to figure out an dinner plan.  I wanted to use the grass fed beef - spaghetti seemed like a good option, so we went to TJs and picked up a few things.  I saw a frozen pie crust so I thought I might try to make an apple pie with granny smith apples. 

Since the peach pie was a success, I decided to use the same formula - only adding a little vanilla and a little half and half.  I also wanted to add something else - pears, cherries, something to give it a kick - I only had walnuts, so I threw those in as well.  I then had the urge to make ice cream, but I am totally out of vanilla paste and the mixing bowls aren't frozen...so I made whipped cream instead.

Although I love apple crostata, I am not a big fan of apple pie - either it's too sticky, too much cinnamon, too crispy, too dry - so I wasn't sure what the consistency of the filling should be.  The crust was flaky and delicious, the pie had a good consistency, and there was a nice balance of sweet/tart...but there was one problem - my husband was not expecting nuts and said it was weird; of course this didn't stop him from having several pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment