Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Monday, August 23, 2010

Chesapeake cake

Yesterday, I must have called every market in a 30 mile radius looking for jumbo lump crab meat. I looked online for local purveyors of Maryland crab meat but was hard pressed to find one. I did however locate plenty of pasteurized canned meat from Vietnam. I kept wondering why crab meat from Vietnam is cheaper and more accessible than crab meat from a bay just a hundred miles or so from here.

I located the meat at two grocers, Whole Foods Callowhill ($34.99/lb) and Wegman's Malvern ($24.99/lb); needless to say, my husband went to Wegman's after work.  My plan was to make the crab cakes last night but I forgot, so this morning it was a race against time as I mixed them up (as I was mixing, I realized that I normally use back fin or a combination). 

I crumbled two slices of bread and soaked it in milk, added seasoning, the huge lumps of meat, mayo, dijon, worcestshire, and egg.  Fried them in butter and got started on the cabbage. I sliced some pepper, carrot, then added shredded cabbage and braised. 


Our suhoor was quite yummy but given the expense, probably not in the spirit of Ramadan.

2 comments:

  1. I recently competed in a surf and turf cooking challenge (I was the surf) and was near devastated by the cost of the crab meat. The Seafood Galley in Haddon Heights on the Black Horse Pike (a mile from the Walt Whitman bridge) sells 1 lb. for $12.99 and it's the same as Wegmans. Just an FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the FYI! That's precisely the kind of place I was searching for.

    ReplyDelete