Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Friday, August 6, 2010

Chesapeake fare

As I walked to the Potomac, National Harbor struck me as a social construction – sprawl masquerading as faux urban living for folks of a particular SES. I looked around and saw restaurants featuring American fare – what exactly is American fare – burgers, fries, ribs? But I kept thinking, while in the Chesapeake Bay watershed one should be consuming seafood, and not from McCormick and Schmick.

As luck would have it, there was a power outage around 330p that totally disrupted my planned frozen TJ ethnic cuisine. I scoured the DC guide for interesting eats and finally at 7, we headed to Pruitt, on the DC waterfront. Although Philips was huge, the entire wharf was full of little seafood places – fresh seafood by the pound that could also be cooked to order…so many choices.

I asked a passerby and she said that Jimmies was the best but we needed seating so we went with Captain White - $75 for ½ dozen crabs, ½ dozen clams, 3 platters (shrimp, oysters, scallops), Maryland crab soup, sides, chicken, and drinks – not bad at all.
Of course I had to try Jimmies so I ordered the strawberry lemonade, ½ pound of shrimp, crab cream soup, and a huge piece of lemon pound cake - $18. The shrimp were absolutely delicious…all I kept thinking was in the 10 years that we’ve been making annual visits to the area, we had no idea this place even existed.

2 comments:

  1. The best chesapeake bay oysters are grown on our family farm!

    Quality & Sustainability
    www.deltavilleoystercompany.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm in the area...so far I've had the best oysters in Bluffton,SC.

    ReplyDelete