Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What came first

I know I've already ranted about this but I just can't help myself.  This egg scam is killing me.  I was in Shop Rite and got all excited when I saw natural eggs on sale for $1.69/dozen.  There were several varieties of these 4Grain eggs - cage free, omega 3, brown, etc - according to the packaging the hens are fed a vegetarian diet of corn, milo, flax, and wheat - enriched with soy and vitamin E. 

I kept reading but couldn't ascertain the differences between the varieties...they all seemed to say the same thing.  I bought the eggs but something was unsettling; that's when I remembered the chickens I saw at River Run Farm.  These chickens had shade, access to sunlight, fresh air, and exercise - but they were eating grass (free from chemicals) and truly roaming free.  They're not getting a ticker tape parade but I keep seeing this vegetarian (grain) diet prominently displayed on egg cartons.  Feeding grain to animals that were designed to eat grass, is nothing to brag about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment