Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Obnoxious

As I sit here with my hot spiced cider, I have come to the realization that I'm a bit of a jerk.  My friend had twins 5 weeks ago and she mentioned that she had a visitor last week and decided to whip up some frozen fish she picked up from Acme.  I couldn't believe it...why was this individual so special...that's when I realized that the only time I'd ever been invited over for a meal was by her mother...of course I gave her a hard way to go...her retort was that I was a foodie. 

She called me this afternoon and suggested that I swing by to pick up some berbere at 2pm.  During the course of the conversation, she said she wanted qulwah but didn't have injera or beef...I volunteered to pick it up.  I made okra for the veggie and a key lime pie for dessert. 

She chopped the onions, tomatoes, meat, sprinkled it with berbere and put it in the pot with oil...at this point it was clear that I have been making beef zigni, not qulwah...she put the top on and let it simmer while she tended to the babies...a short while later I put it on a platter with the okra and a cucumber tomato salad and we dug in. 

Everything was delicious and I had a great time talking trash...the only drawback was that the meat was not tender...perhaps a top sirloin would work for this kind of quick dish?

Before I left, I was sure to mention that today's impromptu meal did not count as an invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment