Get Free Shipping on a New or Refurbished Vitamix

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Salmon surprise

When I went to Whole Foods Sunday, previously frozen wild caught sockeye salmon was on sale for $10.99/lb.  Even though I'm not a fan, the red flesh was irresistible.  While I was standing there, I picked up 8 oz of lump crab meat, thinking I would stuff the fish.  First of all, you can't "stuff" a fillet, so topping it is what I did.

I decided to pull out the zatar and kurkum, the two seasonings together reportedly are great on fish. But salmon is native to a totally different region of the world...and how would those seasonings work with crab?
I was full of uncertainty but I decided to go for it...zatar is essentially thyme and perhaps other green herb mixed with sesame seed; and kurkum seems to be a seasoned turmeric.  I sprinkled the salmon with my everyday seasonings, then rubbed in the Israeli herbs with olive oil.

I mixed the crabmeat up as if I were making crabcakes, omitting the egg and slice of bread.  I sauteed okra on the side, and pressure cooked sweet potatoes in apple cider and butter.

We had the remnants of the pot roast tonight and It is now clear that I need to develop a weekly food menu.  It's ludicrous to cook full meals from scratch every night, not to mention my food budget is out of control.  My new is to make delicious meals for under $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment